I’m a software engineer through and through.
I’m also trying to do the whole indie entrepreneur thing.
And recently I've started to really appreciate just how important marketing is to building a real business.
After spending a lot of time leveling up on the marketing & strategy side of things, I wanted to share some of the best resources I've found for developers like myself who are also learning to bootstrap, market, and sell their own indie SaaS products.
Epic Guide to Bootstrapping SaaS Startups
Simply put this is the best overall resource I have found so far. It's down to earth, practical, the author doesn't take shit too seriously, and most importantly it's filled with very actionable strategy and tactics for SaaS founders.
Marketing is anything that gets people to know that you exist and that gets them excited about what you have to offer. - Clifford Oravec
Broken into five parts:
- Setting expectations & validating ideas
- The No-BS Approach to Building Your SaaS Startup’s Launch List
- Make It Rain: Building an MVP for Fun and Profit
- Ewww — Your Startup Funnel Is Leaking All Over Me!
- Real-World Startup Sales and Marketing for the Lost and the Clueless
Justin Jackson 🔥
A developer who knows how to code and market a product is basically unstoppable. I want to help my developer friends to be unstoppable: to build, market, and sell their own software. - Justin Jackson
So so soooooo sooooooooo much 🔥in here – Justin Jackson's content is way better than mine. Seriously. Please stop reading this and check out his stuff.
These guys know the shit out of marketing. Like for reals.
Some of the best and most well organized content out there. I also ended up having a free consultation call with one of their founders to discuss marketing for my use case without it being sales call-y. Awesome sauce.
- How to Validate SaaS Ideas
- Pre-launch Marketing for SaaS
- How to grow your email list via engagement posts
- The essential guide to marketing automation for SaaS
- How to generate traffic with $0 marketing budget
- From idea to exit: how I launched, marketed, and sold my first SaaS
Micro SaaS E-Book
This free e-book is all about bootstrapping a profitable SaaS business. I really enjoyed the authors writing and found his concept of Micro-Saas businesses very analogous to what we're building at Saasify.
- What is Micro-SaaS and Why Should You Read This?
- What Makes a Good Micro-SaaS Idea?
- Finding Micro-SaaS Ideas
- From Idea to Building a Minimum Viable Product
- Getting Your First Customers
- Thriving in the Long, Slow, SaaS Grind
- Retention & Customer Support as a Solo Founder
It's also worth checking out the author's relatively new seed fund, Earnest Capital.
19 SaaS Marketing Strategies
Awesome. Focused. Free.
Great set of case studies from larger companies around growth & UX. Their comic book format was really approachable, but maybe that's just cause I'm an anime / manga fan... 😂
It's really amazing to me the quality & quantity of free resources out there these days to help SaaS bootstrappers like myself level up our game.
Whether it's general product strategy, marketing strategy, specific tactics, examples to learn from, or just other like-minded founders venting about their experiences, 2020 is a really great time to be bootstrapping your own indie SaaS business.
If you're as interested in this stuff as I am, give a quick look-see at Saasify. We make it simple for developers to earn passive income from SaaS APIs.
And lastly, what other resources have you found the most useful for leveling up your SaaS game??
Hit me up & lemme know – thanks! 🙏